In the center of the sunny Glan Valley where the upper narrow bottom of the valley starts to widen and where the old Roman road crossed the Glan river at Mautbrücken is the formerly traffic controlling Glanegg castle in previously strategic location at the steep northern valley side.
The builder of the castle is still unknown but according to the latest information it is assumed that the House of Eppensteiner were the builders. It was a conspicuous house in its time ( and had a lot of properties from the north of Styria to the Friuli region ). In 1012 Adalbero became the first Carinthian Duke, later however he was excommunicated and put under imperial ban because he had murdered Count Wilhelm ( who was the son of Hemma von Gurk ) and therefore there is almost no information about this period available.
The oldest part of the building, the great hall was built directly on the rock and was used as living area till the beginning of the 16th century. There only remains one floor with one vaulted room on ground level of which the floor is sheer rock. The chapel was directly put on the circular wall and fulfilled its function for the longest time of all buildings. The last Mass was read in 1862.
|1121||In 1121 the castle was mentioned in a document for the first time by Duke Heinrich III. (Adalbero’s grandson) from the House of the Eppensteiners who was very loyal to the Emperor. In those times Emperor Heinrich V. from the House of Salier reigned the country. When Duke Heinrich III. died his nephew Count Bernhard of Spanheim inherited the castle who in turn bequeathed the castle also to his nephew, Margrave Ottokar II. of Steyr. Then the castle was administrated by Styrian ministry officials who called themselves the Masters of Glanegg.|
|1185||In the meantime Ottokar II. became Duke of Styria and after his death in 1185 he bequeathed the castle to the Babenberger Duke Leopold V. who in turn left the castle as a fief to the following masters with succession: Reimpert v. Murek, Rudolf v. Ras, Reimbert v. Glanegg.|
|1424||In 1424 Glanegg became territorial property and regional court under the reign of Duke Wilhelm, whose successor was Ernest the Iron who left the castle to his son Friedrich III. (German Emperor from the Habsburg House).|
|1473||From 1473 to 1478 the Glan Valley was threatened by the Turks. They, however were not able to damage the castle and neither were the flocks of Hungarian robbers afterwards. Emperor Friedrich III. bequeathed the castle to his son Emperor Maximilian I. who for his part left the castle to his grandson Emperor Ferdinand I.|
|1534||Because of high depts Emperor Ferdinand ceded parts of the castle by way of pledge to Ulrich v. Ernau who later bought the whole castle and rebuilt it to a mansion. In 1588 after Ulrich v. Ernau’s death his heirs entered into the full possession of the Mansion Glanegg.|
|1630||Chronologically the castle was sold to Johann Weber v. Ehrental, Kronegg, Seenuhs, Windischgrätz, Aschau and in 1713 to Count Stampfer who had the first road through the Glan Valley built, the old one had led to Glanegg via St.Martin, Kallitsch, and Mautbrücken where they collected toll for the bridge across the River Glan, until 1775.|
|1802||In 1802 Lord Kirn bought the castle which was sold to Earl Bathyany four years later in 1806 and again in 1818 to Chief Judge Hirzegger v. Ossiach whose daughter Josefine later married Lord Klinzer and brought Glanegg castle as a dowry.|
|1830||In 1830 Lord Klinzer built the Manor Mautbrücken and the young family moved from the castle into the new domicile that included the following facilities: the manor house, a brewery, the stables, a bowling alley, shooting stands, a grinder, gardens, etc.. Mautbrücken became a popular tourist attraction.|
|1848||In 1848 when Emperor Franz Josef ascended the throne the end of the seigneurs came and soon the dissolution of the official residence and the jurisdiction at Glanegg castle took place.|
|1860||In 1860 the mayor of Bregenz, Ferdinand Kinz bought the castle. Later the castle was owned by some other people; they were merchant Josef Odelga, Maria Nobleness v. Marquet and Leo Rainer.|
|1937||Family Maier / Zwillink have been the owner of the castle since 1937.|
|1996||In 1996 the local council of Glanegg rented the castle and committed the castle to the Society to Preserve the Castle for revitalization.|